Having osteoporosis is difficult. You can observe this condition mostly among the elderly. Old people stooping and having difficulty in walking are people with osteoporosis. But the symptoms can be eased, if not remedied at all. Then, what are the natural remedies of osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis comes from two words: osteo, meaning “bone” and porosis, meaning “thinning” or “becoming more porous”. Osteoporosis, literally, is the thinning of the bones. But medically, osteoporosis is a disease wherein the density of the bone decreases. The bone mineral density (BMD) is reduced lowering the bone mass density. With low mass density, the bone becomes weaker and brittle, making it get easily broken.
Bone density is greatly affected by genetics. But it can also be influenced by environmental factors, medications, diet, and other diseases. Other factors that affect the bone density of a person are the following:
• Hormones – Women with a deficiency in estrogen after their menopause were found to be more likely to lose bone mineral density. Testosterone deficiency may also lead to osteoporosis. Excess glucocorticoid and thyroxine also affect bone mass density.
• Aging – Age plays an important role in bone density. Between the ages 20 and 30, bone mass density is at its highest. And after the age of 30, the bone’s density begins to decline. Most people who suffer from osteoporosis are those in their 50s and above, mostly women. Old people are also at a higher risk of falling, which makes them more likely to suffer from bone fractures.
• Anorexia nervosa and bulimia – These conditions affect the estrogen level and lead to osteoporosis.
• Exercise – Low levels of physical activity can lead to weakening of the bones.
The thinning of the bone is not itself painful. But the bone becomes more susceptible to breaking and fractures. This is when osteoporosis becomes painful. The common areas that get fractured due to osteoporosis are the hips, wrist, and the spine. Hip fractures impair the person’s ability to walk. Fractures on the spine usually result to deformity (usually reflected through stooping and a hump on the back), severe back pain, and loss of height.
However, osteoporosis can be remedied and prevented from getting worse is treated early.
Natural remedies for osteoporosis
• Dandelion Tea – Dandelion leaf tea increases bone density
• Chaste Berry – Chaste berry contains vitexicarpin and vitricin. These two substances help balance the hormone levels.
• Banana – Banana is rich in potassium. And women with high potassium in their diets have developed stronger bones in their hips and spines. This is most likely due to the fact that potassium keeps the blood healthy and balanced and so there is no need to suck up the calcium from the bones.
• Black Cohosh – Recent studies show that black cohosh may help prevent osteoporosis. 20 to 40 mg of this herb’s extract is recommended to be taken twice a day.
• Apple – Apples are a good source of boron. Boron is a mineral that helps the body hold on to calcium. It also acts as a mild replacement to estrogen. Truly, an apple a day keeps the osteoporosis away and so do pears, dates, grapes, peaches, peanuts, hazelnuts, and raisins.
• Dong Quai – This traditional Chinese medicine has been used to treat menstrual disorders, PMS, and infertility by keeping the hormone levels in balance. The recommended dosage is 250 mg of a standardized extract of the tonic herb.
• Sesame Seeds – Sesame seeds each morning may help treat osteoporosis
• Soy Products – Soy products contain soy isoflavones, the active ingredient that helps balance the level of estrogen. One should get at least 40 mg of soy isoflavones.
• Almond Milk – Almond milk is rich in calcium. Calcium is needed by the bones to get stronger. To get almond milk, simply soak the almonds in warm water, peel them, and blend with the milk of your choice (cow, goat, or soya). Almond also contains boron.
• Peanut Butter – Recent studies show that magnesium has a vital role in strengthening, preserving, and rebuilding bones. And one can get 50 mg of magnesium by consuming only 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.
• Broccoli – Just half a cup of broccoli gives you your required daily dose of vitamin K, a vitamin essential in treating and preventing osteoporosis. Broccolis also have calcium.
Other remedies for osteoporosis are:
• Green, leafy vegetables (lettuce, spinach, etc.)
• Orange juice
• Pineapple juice
• Salmon and sardines