Of all types of meat, fish is considered to be the healthiest. This is due to its low cholesterol amount and as well as its high nutrient content. A perfect example of a healthy type of fish for our diet is no other than the salmon. Salmon is a species of fish that is found in both fresh water like rivers, and salt water like the sea. The scientific name of salmon is Oncorhynchus, which is the prefix for the entire salmon family, and is followed by the suffixes depending on the specific type or variety of the salmon such as the pink salmon and the cherry salmon. According to food experts, salmon contains a lot of nutrients that are very useful to our health. So what are the health benefits of salmon?
Discovering the wonders of salmon to health
This particular type of fish is known to be a very good source of easily-digestible proteins or amino acids. It also contains fatty acids like Omega-3 fatty acids that are in the form of triglycerides. Vitamins such as vitamins A, D and a number of the B-vitamin family can also be acquired in salmon. This fish also has good sources of minerals like selenium, zinc, calcium, phosphorus and iron. Salmons are also known to have a very unique life cycle. Adult salmons usually go to the mouth of the rivers in order to lay their eggs. As the eggs hatch, the fries will start to develop as they begin their journey towards the seas. However, as they grow old, they usually return back to the mouth of the rivers in order to reproduce once again. Most of these fishes die after laying their eggs.
Despite their very peculiar life cycle, salmon are still considered one of the best types of fish due to the wonderful benefits it could give to our health. Some of these benefits include the following:
• Provides strength to our muscles, tissues, hormones and enzymes – as we all know, proteins or amino acids are considered to be essential components to the cells of our body. The protein coming from salmon and most other types of fishes are considered to be easily digestible and absorbed by the body. Aside from these, salmon also do not cause any adverse reactions or side effects to the body. It is also free from any carcinogenic compounds unlike most other types of meat. It is also a good source of fat, specifically the Omega 3 fatty acids, which plays a very vital role in maintaining the optimum level of our health. Just like what is mentioned earlier, it also contains essential minerals and vitamins that can keep the tissues of our body strong and healthy. The mineral selenium specifically helps in building tissues such as our nails and our hair.
• Improves cardiovascular health – since salmon contains Omega-3 fatty acids, it is capable of reducing bad cholesterol and maintains the flexibility of the blood vessels of the body as well as strengthen the cardiac muscles. On the other hand, the essential amino acids are the ones responsible in repairing all the damaged cardiovascular tissue. These substances are also effective in reducing the blood pressure and lowering the cholesterol level thus preventing the possibility of hardening the walls of the arteries and the veins.
• Enhances metabolism – another wonderful benefit of the Omega 3 fatty acid in combination with selenium and vitamin D is that is helps increase the influence of insulin thereby facilitating the absorption of the sugar in the body, which eventually aids in lowering the blood glucose level.
• Benefits eye health – the omegar-3 and the amino acids found in salmon also prevents the macular degeneration, dryness, and fatigue of the eyes. This can also help reduce the risk of vision loss, which instead improves it significantly.
• Promotes better brain and nerve functioning – The Omega-3 fatty acid is efficient in increasing the effectiveness of the brain. Because of this, the memory and as well as the endurance of the brain in enhanced. This can also keep us alert for a very long time despite being subjected to stress. In combination to amino acids, vitamins A and D and as well as selenium can protect the nervous system from any types of damages caused by aging. These substances also act as anti depressants that are capable of relaxing the brain and are also helpful in curing many types of brain-related disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. Because of this benefit, many people consider fish eater to be more intelligent or smarter than most meat eaters.
• Other benefits of salmon – other benefits of eating salmon include the reduction of inflammation of the arteries and the digestive system through the help of the Omega-3 fatty acids. This can also reduce the chances of having colon cancer and as well as problems in the prostate and the kidneys. It also helps in the improvement of the skin texture and adds shine to the eyes, the skin and as well as the hair and the nails. In addition to these, salmon also influences the growth of the good bacteria in the intestines that aids in proper digestion. Some say that the fatter the meat, the more unhealthy it becomes. However, this is opposite when it comes to salmon since the fatter the salmon, the more nutritious and healthy is becomes. Salmon is also a good supplement of protein to older and sick people since it is easy to digest.
These are some of the wonderful benefits salmon can provide our health. It is very amazing to think that something as delicious and as tasty as the salmon could also be as nutritious and as beneficial to our wellness and health.