There are various gums available in the market today. They come in different colors and flavors. Some gums are made for blowing big bubbles. Others are simply for chewing. And these chewing gums have various benefits. So, what are the chewing gum benefits ?
Chewing gum is a confectionary product made of 5 basic ingredients: gum base, flavoring and coloring, sweeteners, softeners, and preservatives. Chewing gum is traditionally made with chicle, which is a natural latex product, or with polyisobutylene, a synthetic rubber. The combination of all these ingredients is what makes chewing gum the way it is, delivers chewing pleasure and prolonged flavor sensation.
Chewing Gum Benefits
While most people chew on gum because they enjoy the act of chewing on it, there is more to chewing gum. Below are some of the chewing gum benefits:
• Freshens Breath – Most chewing gums today are flavored with spearmint or similar. This flavoring freshen the breath. Chewing gum moistens the mouth and throat and refreshes them. It also stimulates the saliva to flow and flush away bacteria that cause bad breath.
• Reduces Cavities and Prevents Tooth Decay – Chewing gum promotes the flow of saliva, flushing away bacteria that can cause cavities and gum problems. It also neutralizes the acids in the mouth which can cause tooth decay.
• Whitens Teeth – There are certain chewing gums that can whiten teeth and prevent stains from forming.
• Improves Memory – Psychologists have found a correlation between chewing gum and memory. Some studies show that people who chew gum during tests score better than those who do not. Chewing gum also increases the activity of the hippocampus, the part of the brain associated with memory. It also increases the glucose level in the blood and promotes blood to flow to the brain.
• Reduces Anxiety and Tension – A study was conducted in the early 1939 and showed that chewing reduces tension, helping people feel more at ease. The regular and rhythmic chewing of gum reduces stress.
• Helps Manage Weight – Chewing gum offers very little calories. There are only about 10 calories per stick and 5 calories per pellet. With just one stick or pellet of chewing gum, you are able to satiate your desire for in between-meals snacks. It helps you control the amount of food you eat. It is also a better alternative to cakes, chocolates, and other sweets. And the act of chewing gum helps you burn 11 calories per hour.
• Improves Digestion – Chewing gum helps improve intestinal motility. And as mentioned before, it promotes the production of saliva, which in turn promotes more frequent swallowing that helps prevent acid reflux.
• Provides a Better Alternative to Smoking – Chewing gum aids people who are trying to stop smoking cigarettes. It is proven to be an effective alternative activity for people who are in the process of quitting smoking.
Keep in mind to take thing in moderation. Xylitol and sorbitol, which are common ingredients in chewing gums, may cause flatulence and diarrhea. And always remember to check the label. Be sure that the chewing gum does not contain aspartame (E951).