We are all familiar of the many wonderful health benefits of fish oil. Men and women both enjoy the many benefits that fish oil give. But the benefits of this amazing supplement are not limited for humans alone. Fish oil is also for man’s best friend.
Fish oil for dogs
Can I give my dog fish oil? You are probably wondering about this when you know how beneficial fish oil can be for us, humans. But is fish oil also good for pets? Is it safe for dogs? The answer is yes.
Dogs, just like humans, need Omega-3 fatty acids. The Omega-3 fatty acids are found to help dogs become healthier and even smarter. These fatty acids come in three forms: alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). And these fatty acids can be obtained through consuming fish oil. Fish oil specifically has EPA and DHA. Both of these are highly essential in dogs.
Benefits of fish oil for dogs
Giving your dog fish oil has a lot of benefits. Fish oil can improve your dog’s health and overall performance. Here are some of the benefits of fish oil for dogs:
• Treatment for Allergies. Fish oil was originally used on dogs and cats by veterinarians to treat skin allergies. There are a number of skin conditions that are due to the lack of Omega-3. Giving your dog fish oil will supply them the necessary Omega-3 to combat these diseases.
• Improved Coat. As fish oil helps treat allergies, it also improves the dog’s coat. Since the skin’s condition is improved, the dog’s fur becomes smooth and shinier.
• Treatment for Arthritis. According to a study done at the University of Liverpool, EPA can reduce the activity of enzymes in arthritis. Thus, fish oil can reduce the damage to tissues that line joint surfaces (cartilages).
• Aid in Treating Inflammatory Conditions. Ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease are just among the various inflammatory disorders that can be treated with fish oil. Fish oil has Omega-3 and Omega-3 has anti-inflammatory effects that would aid in reducing the pain and inflammation.
• Prevention of and Treatment for Cardiovascular Problems. Dogs also suffer from cardiovascular disorders just like us. Arrhythmia, blood clot, and hypertension can all be prevented and treated by using fish oil. Fish oil reduces the risks of having cardiac arrest and other cardiovascular problems in dogs.
• Lower Triglycerides. Triglycerides are fats related to cholesterol. And reducing cholesterol means reducing the chances of having cardiovascular problems. This is mainly what the fish oil is associated to do. And this is why fish oil is considered as an effective supplement for reducing the risks of having heart problems.
• Improved Cholesterol Profile. Fish oil does not simply reduce or lower the level of triglycerides. It also increases or raises the HDL (high density lipoprotein) cholesterol. HDL is considered as “good” cholesterol. This makes fish oil more efficient and beneficial.
• Reduce Risks of Cancer. Dogs can also suffer from cancer. In fact, cancer is the number one killer disease of dogs. It is the most common cause of death in dogs. One in every three dogs will die from cancer and 50 % of dogs will succumb to cancer when they reach 10 years old. Fish oil reduces the chances of dogs getting cancer. Studies show that dogs fed with high amounts of fish oil have better control over cancer. This is because fish oil prevents the proliferation of cancer cells.
• Help in the Development of Puppies. DHA is widely known to be a key substance in neural development. It helps develop the eyes and brains of puppies, just like in human babies. Research shows that puppies fed with high dosage of DHA are smarter and easier to train compared to typical, low-DHA nourished puppies.
• Enhanced Mood. Dogs with high levels of fish oil in their diet are observed to be at a better disposition compared to dogs that aren’t.
Fish oil has a lot of benefits for dogs. It does not only improve the physical health of the dog. It also boosts the dog’s mental capacity and enhances the dog’s disposition. Fish oil makes your dog feel good and look good.
Fish oil dosage for dogs
You can get fish oil supplements for dogs from supplements specifically manufactured for animals, such as Nordic Naturals and Animal Essentials. Nordic Naturals recommend one 1,500-mg fish oil soft gel capsule for large dogs weighing not less than 20 pounds. Smaller dogs should get smaller doses of fish oil.
You may also give your pet fish oil supplements for humans. But if you do choose to give your pet supplements meant for man, be sure to give the right dosage of fish oil. Depending on the dosage of each capsule, you may give your big dogs 1 to 2 softgels of fish oil. And if you have small dogs, you can puncture the softgel and squeeze out some of the contents into your pet’s food. But to be sure, consult your vet regarding the use of fish oil meant for humans and the right dosage of fish oil for your pet.